Baby ducks make mess with water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hamilton3475, Apr 30, 2011.

1. hamilton3475

hamilton3475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Alabama
    Does antone have any ideas on how to keep baby ducks from makin such a mess with their water or is this just one of those thing that comes with breeding ducks? [​IMG]

2. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    If you can't make a platform, get a plastic container with a lid and cut a hole in the lid that is big enough for them to stick their heads in, but not their whole bodies.

3. hamilton3475

Feb 13, 2011
    Alabama
    I knew someone would have the answer, thank you so very much [​IMG]

4. Mallardman

Mallardman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Ducks are gonna make a mess but you may try to put a pie pan or other short rimed container under the water this will help some but what I had the most luck out of is using 1/2 inch hardware cloth for the floor of my brooder with a plastic storage tote under the water to catch the water to catch it so it don't go all over the floor I wish I could show you a pic but I can't figure how to put it on the post after building my wire floor brooder all my ducks stay clean and dry all I have to do is empty the storage tote everyday this also helps withe the smell of the wet litter and also saves money bc I don't have to buy any bedding not to mention the time it saves on the daily duck chores if you know how to post a pic let me' know and I will get one posted asap

5. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    No problem. [​IMG]

6. hamilton3475

Feb 13, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:Dont know how to either I'm new to the forum. I do understand the idea, that's a great one too. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with me.

7. Mallardman

Mallardman Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Not a problem good luck with your ducks

8. ecse129

ecse129 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Here's how to post pics:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

I really want to see your brooder set up because I have been dealing with the same problem. I love the ducklings but am getting really annoyed with how often I have to clean out their brooder due to their mess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by