baby ducks with lung worms

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bc4ducks, Oct 22, 2014.

1. bc4ducks

bc4ducks New Egg

Oct 22, 2014
    I need some advice. I recently had a 3 month old muscovy pass away suddenly. My dog and cat vet suggested we do a necropsy. The results were lung worms. I have never had any experience with this parasite in over 12 years of waterfowl and poultry rescue. After talking to many rescues etc. It was recomended that I use 3 cc's of 10% safeguard suspension for goats in a gallon of water. When I went to buy it at my only feed store, they were all out until Sat. Ivermectin was another suggestion. I dewormed my horses today with Ivermectin paste 1.87 and have a small amount in each tube left. Does anyone have experience dosing this for baby muscovys? They are all 3 months old and. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I don't want to lose another one.... already feeling guilty. Thanks in advance, BC

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I haven't had to worm my ducks - but I think @casportpony has experience with dosages for materials like ivermectin.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Three cc's of Safeguard in the water is very unlikely to treat lung worms. Some pheasant people do use ivermectin, but I have seen studies that say it's not effective in treating them. How much do your ducklings weigh? Let me know and I'll tell you how much paste to use.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    According to this book the treatment for lung worms (gape worms or Syngamus Tachea) is Safeguard (fenbendazole) 30mg/kg orally five days in a row. With Safeguard liquid or paste that works out to 0.3ml per 2.2 pounds for five days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

According to the study below treatment is Safeguard (fenbendazole) 20mg/kg orally three days in a row. With Safeguard liquid or paste that works out to 0.2ml per 2.2 pounds for three days.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887
    Efficacy of fenbendazole against helminth parasites of poultry in Uganda.

Ssenyonga GS.
    Abstract

Fenbendazole 4% (Panacur, Hoechst) administered in feed was used to treat chickens infected with Ascaridia galli, Heterakis gallinarum and Railletina spp. It was also used to treat Syngamus trachea in broiler birds. There was a marked drop in helminth egg counts in the faeces on the second day of treatment and the faeces became negative by the seventh day after the last treatment. Post-mortem examination 15 to 21 days later showed that the drug was 100% effective against Ascaridia galli and Heterakis gallinarum at 10 mg/kg. However, for complete removal of Railletina spp. 15 mg/kg was required. Similarly 20 mg/kg fenbendazole was effective against Syngamus trachea. It was concluded that fenbendazole is suitable for the treatment of the important intestinal and tracheal worms of poultry, a dose of 15 to 20 mg/kg for 3 consecutive days being recommended for use under field conditions.
    PMID:
    [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

If they were mine I would do the five day treatment.

-Kathy

Edited to add: Show this info to your vet.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Okay... ivermectin dose. The highest dose I could find listed for birds is 0.4mg/kg, which is probably about 0.021ml per 2.2 pounds. To calculate the dose, take weigh of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2, times 0.4, divide by 18.7. The answer to that is the amount of ml's (cc's) to give.

Here is an example for a five pound bird.
    5 ÷ 2.2 x .4 ÷ 18.7 = 0.048ml

-Kathy

Edited to add: Note that many people give a pea size amount to their birds, but that's about 5 times too much for a five pound bird. It probably won't hurt the bird, but it's way more than I feel comfortable recommending.

7. bc4ducks

bc4ducks New Egg

Oct 22, 2014
    Dear Kathy, Thanks again. I want to make sure you realize it wasn't my vet that told me to put it in the water, it was a different rescue site. My vet doesn't have alot of experience with waterfowl but she is the one that convinced me to have the necropsy done and has been trying to help me find info. My problem is I can orally treat my babies and the penned birds.But I have adult releases that come and go as they please from the back ponds to eat and socialize, I never know when they are coming and they aren't anywhere near as domesticated as the ones I keep here and handle daily. Thanks again for all your help. You are GREAT! Beth C

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You're welcome! It a relief to her that your vet didn't recommend the 3cc per gallon. I have no idea where that misinformation started, but it seems to be everywhere. There is another way to worm the bigger ones more effectively than in the water, but it would require that they come to you for food. If they like a mash made out of crumbles and water you could worm them that way with Safeguard for five days, that will treat almost all worms.

To calculate the dose, guess the weight of flock in pounds, divide by 2.2, times 50 divide by 100. The answer to that is the amount of ml's (cc's) of Safeguard to give. Make sense?

Here is an example for 10 five pound birds.
    50 ÷ 2.2 x 50 ÷ 100 = 11.36ml of Safeguard 10% liquid

Mix 11.36ml of Safeguard in some water, then add that water to the amount of crumbles that the birds will eat, add more water and mix well. Do this 5 days in a row.

If you can, run these numbers by your vet. FYI, your vet probably has the same books as I have, so they should be able to confirm this info. And always check my math, lol.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by