Baby ducks with their parents?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, Mar 14, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    I have 4 pekin ducks, 3 drakes and one hen. we want to get 2 more hens to stop the drakes from fighting. my mom wants to hatch some of the eggs for her friend. if we were to hatch them, could i take two of the girl babies and have them be our hens (once they grow up of course.) we won't know who the father is but we won't be hatching any more eggs, so would it be wrong to put the babies with their possible parents to be their mates? would their parents know that they are their parents?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    A male duck wont care if it is his daughter. Ducks don't know the difference. If you aren't breeding them, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    alright, thank you so much. at first i was worried about the eggs, then i realized we wouldn't be hatching them so it didn't matter. now i just have to learn how to sex them from a very early age....hmmmm.

4. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually even if you were to hatch the eggs father to daughter or mother to son is not a bad cross. Sibling crosses are worse because they have more of the same genes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by