baby ducks year round?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tigerlillyrk, Mar 16, 2012.

1. tigerlillyrk

tigerlillyrk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Are you able to order baby ducks from places year round? If not what is the usual time of the year that you can get them?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

It depends a bit on the hatchery. Some start shipping in late winter, some later.

Part of the consideration is weather - don't want the babies to freeze in transit.

The hatcheries I am aware of post availability in one way or another.

What breed are you thinking of?

3. tigerlillyrk

tigerlillyrk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    Well i was just curious if they are actually hatching year round or not. Also im not sure on breeds because i already have two from the local tractor supply but i have no idea what breed they are yet because they were a mix. I just want to know how much longer i have to make a decision on if i want more ducklings.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Smaller hatcheries don't usually hatch year round. Very few serious breeders hatch year round; I don't know any who do. The big national hatcheries do. Breeds are limited.

It looks to me like you can always get Pekins and the hatchery version of Swedish if you want to order from the big hatcheries. Metzer, at a minimum, will have those Grimauld Pekins, and they sell nice Pekins.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think you have a few more months, in any case, depending on the breed you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by