baby ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by izzyslater9974, Jun 12, 2016.

1. izzyslater9974

izzyslater9974 New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    What can i feed my baby ducks, besides starting feed?[​IMG]can i mix foods, like oatmeal and corneal, if so, how long can they eat off of that. What vegetables and fruits can they eat?

2. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Hi! Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]
    First, they can eat anything they want! Just be sure they have grit (tiny rocks. Oyster shell is calcium, not grit) to help with digesting anything that is not feed. If they are outside, they will find grit with their grass.
    They like peas, cabbage/lettuce. spinach, and often kale. When they are bigger than your hand (about a week! LOL j/K) you can add feeder minnows to the water bowl/pool if you use one.
    Don't forget that ducklings can't stay afloat very long, and need to actually learn to swim. Momma gives them her oils until they get their glands. So, don't assume they will not drown in the first few weeks.
    Good luck with your babies!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @izzyslater9974

Welcome!

I like to point people to this sticky - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/242460/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements

There are many options to broaden their diet, and I think it is good for them. Just a few things to avoid. I think avocado might be one, and too much spinach is said to interfere with calcium uptake.

That said, there can be exceptions - I tend to be a bit cautious especially with ducklings.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Ducklings can eat lots of things..
    Spinach in small quantities is fine..Can affect the Kidneys.
    They love to forage on the grass. Bugs, forage and grains are the best for Ducks.

1 person likes this.
  5. izzyslater9974

izzyslater9974 New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    thank you a lot, i appreciate it[​IMG]

6. izzyslater9974

izzyslater9974 New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    thanks you all, you guys really helped me out!![​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by