baby ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by baby girl, Apr 18, 2017.

1. baby girl

baby girl New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    How old should my baby ducks be before I can let them run with my chickens, I have some baby chicks that are doing very good, I just dont want my little duckys to get pecked, never had ducks before so still learning

2. LeiaLayers5

LeiaLayers5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    My experience personally is not until they look mature and about the same size as chickens. We had a duckling who was just short of being fully feathered and our chickens attacked her viciously, trying to pull out her feathers and we had to segregate until she was big enough that they were afraid to attack her. Keep in mind, our chickens are not what I would call docile, we have big personalities in our flock. You might have more docile birds, but generally from what I have heard and seen, if they see weakness they go after it.

Edit: On the other hand, we have ducklings now that are at least half my chickens size and who at least under supervision while free ranging, are bold enough to chase off any older birds whether chicken or duck who get too close.....

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your wanting to introduce the Ducklings to the Chicks?.....I tried that...;).....My Ducklings wanted to play with the Chicks...Not nicely either...:).....To this day my Ducks hate the Chickens...I have a mesh fence set up to keep my Birds separate during free range time....If one gets out the Ducks chase it...;)...

All you can do it try...:)...It might be okay?.....

Best of luck...:)

Cheers!

4. LeiaLayers5

LeiaLayers5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2015
    Suffolk VA
    My Coop
    I will add that my chickens and ducks share a run and free range together 24/7. We just have a coop and duck house that are separate within run for each. Initially they were seperated by chicken wire within run but they got so used to one another we took that down and they live and free range together now. Its really only been an issue when you have small ones or new additions at first so far for us.

5. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Welcome to BYC!

I introduced my baby ducks to my chickens at two weeks they all got along fine no pecking.The chickens were actually scared of the ducklings.Results may differ but its worth a try.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by