Baby Ducks!!

Olivekat07

Songster
Dec 10, 2017
Tennessee
We just got our baby ducks!! They are so cute! So we ended up getting 2 and we Pekin ducks! So I know when they grow up and put them in the chicken coop I’ll have to buy a kiddie pool. What else will I have to buy? What is the difference between duck feed and chicken feed? Will I have to mix the duck feed in with the chicken feed? Thanks for your help!!

Last edited:
How exciting Congratulations.

Here is some good info on raising and caring for ducklings.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/

One thing your going to want to do is introduce your ducks and chickens slowly so they have time to get use to one another. Sometimes ducks and chickens don't do so well together in the same coop. So introducing slowly is very important. You'll not be putting the pool inside the pen with the chickens? it will get to be a soupy mess in no time and the chickens will not thrive in that environment best to have the pool outside of the pen that way you can move it around to keep the muck down.

Be sure to give your lil Pekins supplementation of niacin if using chick feed or are you feeding duck starter?

We just got our baby ducks!! They are so cute! So we ended up getting 2 and we Pekin ducks! So I know when they grow up and put them in the chicken coop I’ll have to buy a kiddie pool. What else will I have to buy? What is the difference between duck feed and chicken feed? Will I have to mix the duck feed in with the chicken feed? Thanks for your help!!
Ducks require different feed than Chickens and are these Hen Ducks?..Pekin can be hard to raise if the feed is not correct.

How exciting Congratulations.

Here is some good info on raising and caring for ducklings.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/

One thing your going to want to do is introduce your ducks and chickens slowly so they have time to get use to one another. Sometimes ducks and chickens don't do so well together in the same coop. So introducing slowly is very important. You'll not be putting the pool inside the pen with the chickens? it will get to be a soupy mess in no time and the chickens will not thrive in that environment best to have the pool outside of the pen that way you can move it around to keep the muck down.

Be sure to give your lil Pekins supplementation of niacin if using chick feed or are you feeding duck starter?
When we get our new run built (that is VERY VERY soon and big) we are going to have sand in it. And we plan to have a kiddie pool in it

Back
Top Bottom