Baby Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Douxie27, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Douxie27

Douxie27 New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    My female duck daisy has a male freind Donald. She has made a nest and is sitting on some eggs. She wont let anyone near her except for me (I the owner. ( I look after her and she trusts me) ) when I give her food. Donald has recently been sitting near her and protecting her.
    my question it how do I know if the eggs are definatly fertile and if they are what do I do???? Daisy and I are both new at this so im a bit unsure. So far I have just been leaving it to her. When/if the eggs hatch do I have to take the ducklings away from her or do I let themfollow her around all the time? [​IMG]

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    You didn't say what kind of duck she is and how long has she been sitting? The next time you catch her off the nest, you can candle the eggs to see if they are fertile. If they are developing, she will know what to do, you don't have to take them away unless you want to, just make sure the pen is secure and if there is a swimming pool, make sure ducklings have a way to get out of it so they don't drown. Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by