1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Ducks.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lacrystol, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Baby ducks, I'm assuming these babies are Malllards, But I'm not quite sure. I hatched them myself so I'm there only mommy. I can tell one of them is the "leader" of the pack because everyone follows him. However the "leader" follows me. I was just wondering when they get older, will they take off for the winter but come back for the summer? Or will they stay with me forever?

OR should I send them off to there "real Mommy" You see something was eating the eggs from there real mommy and the neighbors took what was left and gave them to me to hatch.. 4 baby ducks later, I have new kids, but I'm don't know if I should return them to her or continue to raise them myself. Here are my new kids: They just turned one week old today..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    They are very cute.

3. Roxy1989

Roxy1989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    so gorgeous, just want to snuggle them [​IMG]
    They'll probably stay with you, if they think your theyre mommy [​IMG]

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    How old are they? They could be rouens? They are soooooo cute!

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I would suggest that if mom is gentle that you allow her to brood them on out.... You need to see if she will accept them.... Have a blessed day. nancy

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They're cute. But, they're not a wild breed, most likely Swedish and perhaps one mallard mix. I would raise them yourself, especially if the mom is feral because she has probably lost her broodiness a long time ago, especially if all the eggs were taken.

Do you have a picture of the mom?

7. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I think what you're saying is mom is a wild mallard who's nest the neighbors found? Or do they have domestic ducks?

If momma is wild, and the babies have already been imprinting on you for the last week, those babies are yours now. The momma duck may want them back, but the babies will be afraid of her and will try to hide under your feet. There might be time to introduce them to each other and see how it goes if she's a coop kept domestic duck.

Whether they leave or not when they're older and flying around... they might.

8. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    My mallards I got...two as babies and two as adults.....they never flew away. I was surprised at the two I got right before Christmas last year. Some people found them and asked if they could put them in my pond....I said sure, but that they would probably fly away. Well......they are still here. My dogs got one of the older ones this summer......her and her mate would fly into my back yard, my front yard, my side yard, but they have never flown away. One has one angel wing, so he can't fly, his female has flown from one side of my yard to my pond, but maybe she doesn't leave because he can't. My other male that lost his female....he has never left.

9. Quackwacky

Quackwacky Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    They look a bit big to be mallards at 1 week. Perhaps rouens, but they aren't very strong flyers (for a short distance at maybe roof level),so if mom is a local duck that stays close by then that may help identify them. I would guess they are a mix of mallard & something else. If they have imprinted on you the chances of them leaving you are very slim. Enjoy them![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  10. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Not pure mallards or rouens. They look like a mallard/Swedish crosses.

I would not give them back to momma unless you want them killed. She will not accept them back if she isn't broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by