Baby ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kensangell, Aug 17, 2008.

1. kensangell

kensangell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    Smethport Pennsylvania
    My silkies just hatched 2 pekin duck eggs(experiment) and now I have no idea how to care for them. Is it the same as chicks? What do I feed them, do I let them swim, and if not now when? I actually have a small dish in with them and they splash in it. I read on here about angel wing(?) if given too much protein. How do you know if giving too much. Help!!!!!

2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I can't help with the feed thing. I feed mine basic chick starter but other people here have had problems from that. Let them swim with supervision in anything deep enough to drowned in. Ducklings aren't water repellent until they get feathers so be sure they can hop in and out it. Just for fun, give them a mud puddle and watch them sift through the water! [​IMG] Don't stress too much.

3. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Do not give them medicated chick starter. They can OD on the medication because of the amount they eat in a day. Gamebird starter or regular duck starter is best. They could get by on unmedicated chick starter, but it doesn't have the right amount of niacin.

The ducks never seemed to need to be as warm as the chicks did. They are quite a bit heartier.

A chick waterer seemed to work great. They have to be able to scoop water with their bills. They'll string it everywhere no matter what you use. You just don't want them to be able to get saturated and drown, as BantyHugger said. They do love a dip in the tub or kitchen sink though. Just watch them for fatigue and be sure to take photos!

4. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    no more t then 16% protien.

Duckman

5. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    20% protein feed for the first 3-4 weeks, then cut back to no more than 16% until they are 20 weeks and then switch to a maintenance feed. I use Mazuri Waterfowl feed.

6. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:I just raised 2 different bunches of ducks this year.. Roeun and now on my Cayuga bunch..

I feed my ducks Non Med. Game bird (crumble)..

After about a week, you can let them swim in a little pool of water,, Don't let it be to cold for them.. I don't know where you live so just make sure it's a nice warm day for them to stay warm and dry off after the swim..

I have had a lot of fun with mine..

Here's a PIC of my first bunch..

[​IMG]
    btw,, the yellow are geese..

[​IMG]

7. palabeco

palabeco Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    I have 3 pekins. I used nonmedicated chick starter. And I made a waterer out of a gallon milk jug, just cut a hole or two just big enough for their head to fit in and about as high from the bottom as their head is, as they grow make a new one with the hole higher and bigger. I also saw a post a while back where they used a 2 liter soda bottle on its side and cut a rectangular hole in it like a trough, they attched it somehow so it didn't roll. I will look for those posts.

8. palabeco

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
  9. palabeco

Oct 29, 2007
    S.W. PA
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by