Baby ducky with wet belly. Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kmoreau, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    I have a 2.5 week old baby Pekin duckling. His name is gander (I have 2 other pekins; goose and geesey [​IMG] goose is my drake, and geese is a young girl) everyone is doing just great but lately my baby gander can not seem to have a dry belly. I am feeding corn and nonmedicated chick starter. As well as providing vitamins and niacin. (I work at a feed store and am familiar with the nutritional needs) I also have a dusting them with sevin once a month or so. The baby hasn't been dusted yet, because I haven't seem any signs. My other ducks live free range in my backyard but also have a covered pen to sleep/live in. But the baby is in my bathroom, with short supervised visits in the yard, and every two days taking a short play in the tub. I make sure gander is always warm and dry, using a towel when necessary. I believe I am doing everything right, and try really hard to take care of all my animals, I also research more than average.
    Lately (past few days) gander's belly can not seem to get dry. I've dried him with a towel, and it's still not drying. His yellow down is just stringy and wet looking, only on his belly. I don't know what to do, I don't want to irritate it , and I don't want to make it worse. Can I use a blow dryer, baby powered, should I dust him? I need some advice and help please!!!! Til I get a answer not more baths; he is going to be very unhappy, I must have more cuddle time to make it up.

Thank you, any and all advice accepted

Kayla

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    A few questions may help to figure this out with you.... Where do you have him living? What is on the bottom of the area?

OH... and [​IMG]

3. Kmoreau

Jun 28, 2011
    He is in my bathroom. On the tile floor, but I keep towels, blankets down. And I change them daily.

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If the ducklings is making a lot of mess with its water and the towels are getting wet- then that could explain the wet belly. But still ..... it would be expected that when the towels are changed that he would dry out for a while at least.

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Is his belly wet or oily? Just a wild guess from someone who doesn't know a whole lot, but maybe his oil gland isn't working right? Other than that, I would agree with DuckyfromOz.

6. Kmoreau

Jun 28, 2011
    To me it just feels wet not oily. Is there any way to help him dry faster he just looks miserable

7. DuckiesAndBees

DuckiesAndBees Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    I'm having a similar situation with one of my ducklings. I only have 2, but the cayuga is always dry and fluffy. The blue runner is the one who always has a wet belly. It goes in a large stripe down her front. I have them in a large dog crate (because they liked to jump out of the pool) with fabic in the bottom, changed at least daily. I also have a boot tray with their food and water. The runner likes to sit down a lot and I think she sits in the tray in all the food and water mess. I give her a bath and blowdry her and she still doesn't look good, but she's dry. I think it's probably a phase she'll grow out of, especially when I can put them outside with the big ducks.

8. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    If they are constantly wet, then remove all water and food at night. Let them dry out. Make sure they have DRY bedding as well.

9. Kmoreau

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. Tonight I will remove the food and water, I know gander will not be a happy duck:( lol. I will see if that helps, I also asked people at work and they also thought he might grow out of it, since he was hand raised and not duck reared. Something about not enough oil to preen himself. I just hope it doesn't turn into wet feather As he grows, although I live in a hot climate.

P.s I wanted a Cayuga so badly but couldnt find anyone near me, and I only had room for one more. And no body will ship just one... I'll just have to wait til I can get Two;). My husband will be so thrilled j/k lol

Thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by