Baby emu help

Spidergirl865

Hatching
May 27, 2017
Emmitsburg, MD
Hey guys,
New to the forum and raising emus. I have 3 babies, about a month old. Two are much bigger than the third one(Todd). Well, I noticed yesterday that it seems like Todd's leg is mishapen(I'm going to attempt to post a pic). What should I do for this little guy. I've tried finding a vet that will see him and I'm having no luck, so I'm stuck to home care.

Attachments

• 20170526_220212.jpg
    20170526_220212.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 85
We were debating either a splint or swaddling him (I've googled it) but I don't want to do something to make it worse. We are going to separate him from the other two, since he is so much smaller, and they knock him over all the time

Hey guys,
New to the forum and raising emus. I have 3 babies, about a month old. Two are much bigger than the third one(Todd). Well, I noticed yesterday that it seems like Todd's leg is mishapen(I'm going to attempt to post a pic). What should I do for this little guy. I've tried finding a vet that will see him and I'm having no luck, so I'm stuck to home care.
To begin, Spidergirl, you must search the archives here, which have a lot of info on this problem. Next, I am tame-wild emu guy, so I'm out of my depth here. However, this is very very very bad news. Conditions with chicks' legs are disturbingly common -- though we don't know if it's related to the shrinking gene pool of the U.S., or whether it's equally a problem in the wild. Please keep us posted.

SE

I actually figured out the search stuff after I posted. I apologize, I am TERRIBLE at everything internet, and I was kind of frantic at first, since I thought it was broken or dislocated.
I'm pretty sure it's splayed legs (from what I've read here and other sources). I'm going to attempt to try to correct it like they do with chickens and other small birds, but from what I've read, it doesn't look too hopeful. I still have faith though. This is one of our 3 that is my absolute favorite, so I have to try everything before i give up. I'll try to keep it updated. Thank you for the help

To begin, Spidergirl, you must search the archives here, which have a lot of info on this problem. Next, I am tame-wild emu guy, so I'm out of my depth here. However, this is very very very bad news. Conditions with chicks' legs are disturbingly common -- though we don't know if it's related to the shrinking gene pool of the U.S., or whether it's equally a problem in the wild. Please keep us posted.

SE

Back
Top Bottom