Baby Fancy Piegon Hatching!!!I Have Rusty Hand feeding skills - Help

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chickenzoo, May 30, 2008.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Any one know the best way to hand feed this baby piegon, eyedropper ? When should I start feeding it ? How often and for how long. I use to handfeed baby cockatiels and parrots but it's been a while. I'm going to get some Exact formula to feed it. Is that still correct?

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Why not just let the parents raise it ?

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It was an egg I hatched, I forgot my friend gave me an egg from her not sitting piegons to put in incubator,till it hatched !

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    ohh lol gotch ya . Good luck , keep us posted

5. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Chances are if you didn't get the information you needed by now the squab didn't make it, but if anyone stumbles over the thread and wanted the answer I would recommend using a syringe, not an eye dropper. Sometimes when you release the bulb on an eyedropper if you don't wait till it is completely out of the baby's mouth it can pull food back out causing it to strangle. In extreme cases, you might even collapse a lung. I would recommend feeding every few hours for the first few weeks and be sure to keep the baby very warm. As far as a handfeeding formula, I would just make sure it is one that is okay for pigeons and other softbills. Some formulas are only formulated for hookbills. The technical term escapes me at the moment. I believe Katee's Exact and Prettybird's formulas are okay for softbills.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by