Baby finally pipped... *Update* 25 hours later w/ pic.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Webbigail, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Webbigail

Webbigail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Bay Area, CA.
    Help please? It's my first hatch so I'm worried something is gonna go wrong. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    does it look like it's moving at all? Mine took over 24 hours after it pipped. As long as you can see it moving or hear it, it's just taking it's time.

Chicks pip on day 19...it takes alot of energy and 2 more days to get out of that shell.

3. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    yep and some even take longer to pip and some times longer then to hatch so just give some time

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Patience. 24 hours or longer from the time a chick pips the egg til it will zip (hatch) out. They rest and finish absorbing the yolk sac.

5. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I had one pip yesterday morning and then did nothing, last night I thought it was a goner, woke up this am to a brand new baby chick. Patience.

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sit on your hands. Do not Open the bator. Patience, Patience, Patience.

7. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Just give it time. My last hatch last week the first on to pip was the last one to hatch. I did not open the bator. I thought it might be dead cause I couldn't see anytning but had to leave the house for a bout four hours and when I got back it was hathced. Took that chick way over 24 hours

8. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    I had 3 pip this morning too, no progress since, they are cherpin so are alive. Don't worry, forget about it for several hours and check back again later [​IMG] my 3 are two days early, so I don't expect them to to arrive any time fast, the other 25 nothing has happened, early bloomers, watch for late ones too.

9. Webbigail

Webbigail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Bay Area, CA.
    Thanks for everyone's responses. Mine's 3 days over due so I'm like freaking out a little... like pacing back and forth in front of the bator.

This is as far as he's gotten 25 hours after he first pipped. He's still moving around. I just wanna make sure this is normal.
    [​IMG]

10. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    I heard that you should assist after 24 hour after he pipped. I dont exactly know but. There was a thread asking when to assist. So please take a look. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by