1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Finches being picked on by big Finches

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Whispering Winds, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two little ones that just hatched probably not more than a month ago for sure . . .they are just getting around flying good and being on their own. Last night I was getting them ready for bed and one of them has been picked bloody on his head and shoulder area. I took him out and cleaned it with a very weak benadine, and this morning (put him and his sibling who was also picked a little bit) in a small cage and he was drinking and looking better. I am at the office until 5, so hope that he is still doing better. Is there anything I can use to help that sore area? He is so tiny I am leery of using things I wouldn't hesitate to use on the other bigger animals. I think we are getting too crowded in the BIG cage, so going to have to do something.

2. shadowman

shadowman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2010
    ontario
    I would call a vet before putting anything else on him, but I would think a small it of polysporin wouldn't hurt him. If he's eating o.k, I'de just leave it and keep the wound clean. What kind of finches do you have?
    I kept finches years ago. I had a pair of pure white society finches, some strawberries and some owl finches. I had a pair of paradise wydah finches but the male died shortly after buying him, he only lasted about three months.
    I'm going to try raising them again. I'm building a glass showcase aviary 8' long and 3' deep. Hopefully that will be big enough to keep the paradise finches

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

He is better, and so is the sibling. I put them in their own little cage and just kept a close eye on them and they are doing great!! I have more hatching, so decided I better just get them out when they are ready to fly too. Here is a picture, but it is probably too dark to really see how they pile in this one nest. Same nest the babies came from.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by