1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Flying Squirrel

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Duckchick2011, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Hey guys,

anybody out there with experience raising southern flying squirrel pups? My dad brought home a 5 week old one today! I bought some goats milk esbilac but i can only find instructions for the powdered version, this is liquid. Not sure if I should dilute or what? [​IMG]

Any other advice is welcomed!

(sorry for any typos, I'm typing one handed)

2. inthesticks

inthesticks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I wouldn't dilute it personally. You will only have to worry about it for another 3 wks anyways. I have never diluted goats milk prior to feeding it to kittens/kits/squirrels/etc

I would feed it about 3X a day if it still seems hungry, you can always offer a little more. & when home I would carry it around in a shirt pocket or special little sling(that is if you plan on keeping it) so you'll bond. They can live roughly 15yrs or so when in captivity/ a pet.

For some more info here is a pretty good site

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/flsqin.html

Pictures please!!!!

3. Texas Wolf

Texas Wolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    That's awesome!

4. ChristyAnneCobb

ChristyAnneCobb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    DFW area
    My Coop
    I wouldn't dilute it either...I've raised squirrels with Kitten Milk Replacer before. It works well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by