Baby food?

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by megan chickens, Feb 7, 2017.

1. megan chickens

megan chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Hi everyone, so i have 6 eggs that are suppose to hatch Friday and 2 on Feb 14th! I'm expecting all to hatch, when i candle them all looks good. No blood rings and all are moving. I turn them 3 times a day morning evening and night. I talk to them so they will recognize my voice when they hatch. I know chicks don't eat for the first day or so but when they are hungry i like to feed them something that has a lot of nutrients. I like to feed them smashed pumpkin or baby food. I do this with ducklings also, they have a harder time eating watered down chick feed when they are little. Is baby food and pumpkin good for them should i just stick to normal chick feed or keep doing what i'm doing?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I would stick to chick food, personally, as it is formulated to have well rounded nutrition, including macro and micro nutrients. The only other thing I do is give them a vitamin/electrolyte/probiotic mixture in the water, especially if they are having trouble walking or if they are shipped chicks.

3. megan chickens

megan chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Ok i will stick to chick feed thanks so much for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by