Baby Food.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Foghorn, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have leftover baby food at times that just gets thrown out. Peas, pears, carrots, etc. Any harm in mixing a bit with the chick starter?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Don't see why not! It is low in sodium and other harmful things. Just not so much it displaces too much of their starter, but mostly baby food is straight pureed meats and veggies and some pastas. Should be fine for them.

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    My daughter gives me her left over baby food. The chickens love it. I also buy canned green beans and corn and carrots for them. It's getting warmer out, so I'll be able to cut down on that! But, the baby food, even the fruit will be fine for the chickens.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd be a bit careful to canned goods if they are the commercial type. They contain an amazing amount of sodium!

5. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    I agree with speckledhen to make sure their main diet is the chick starter. I'd be chary of giving baby food to chicks that are very young because too much might give them loose stools. But if you keep an eye on them to make sure they're digesting everything okay, they'd probably love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by