baby food?

cbrown86

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Missouri
New Guy is looking really droopy... Bullet was fine last night before we went to bed, then when I check on them this morning, Bullet had died.
sad.png
I'm trying to prevent New Guy from dying too. I've given her some sugar water, which didn't help much. I gave her a TINY drink of Mt. Dew, which perked her up some, but I don't want to dehydrate her. I've been giving her water from a dropper every 10-15 mins for about 2 hrs. She won't eat her chick starter, and the only yogurt I have is red velvet flavored. So, is baby food ok to try to give her? I am out of eggs, so I can't give her any scrambled eggs, which she didn't seem to like last time I gave her some on Sunday. Any other suggestions? The brooder is 90 degrees under the lamp, which is about 3 ft above the brooder, and 85 degrees away from the lamp. There is shavings in the brooder (not cedar). I've been checking on this chick every 5 mins since I woke up this morning! AHHH!! Need advice...

DONT give them soda or beer. Nothing carbonated!!!!! they can not fart or belch. The air bubbles just hold up in their system and is VERY painful for them. I made this mistake once, and caused me a lot of heartbreak, and my hen a lot of pain. they can and eventually will die from it.

How old?
I've never had a chick that didn't like boiled egg yolk. If you don't have plain, the yogurt you have will be better than nothing as long as it has active cultures.
Chick starter is the best food. Bananas or strawberries could be good but anything other than egg yolk and starter won't give the best balance. The yogurt is just to give probiotics and protein.
Make sure the water isn't cold. I put agave nectar or honey in for the first couple days. Keep feeder full so they won't peck at feces.
I cover the wood shavings the first few days with burlap and paper towels till they know what food is.
Make sure the bedding is dry.

fishnet1971, the Mt. Dew was flat. It had been sitting out for a little while and was mostly melted ice. But I won't give her any more.
chickencanoe, I got her last Friday. She was a day old then (or so the store said), so she will be a wk old tomorrow. water is warm, with some sugar in it. (not even half a teaspoon of sugar for about 2oz of water) Feeder is full. She was eating and drinking fine until this morning. I left to go get wood from Sutherlands, when I came back DH said something was wrong with her. She seems to be ok now, she is at least standing, which she wasn't when I got home. Her and her buddy are snuggled up, away from the heat lamp, peeping occasionally. Just hope she makes it.
fl.gif

If they stay away from the lamp, move the lamp higher. I keep it as cool as I can as long as they don't huddle under the lamp.
Sweet water isn't necessary after the first couple of days. If you still feel the need to encourage drinking, sip it yourself and you should just barely be able to detect sweetness.
Sugar gives energy but really doesn't help nutrition.
I know you said you won't do it again but, soda is anti-food. I won't drink it.
Pure clean water hydrates, nothing else does as well.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom