baby formula

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Alaskan, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

can feed my chickens and ducks baby formula?

From what I understand it is OK to feed it to the dog, but I would rather the poultry got a treat.

Anyone know?

2. youdontknow32

youdontknow32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    South Western PA
    We feed our chickens powdered milk and we make the bagged potatoes and give those to them, never thought about baby formula, we use to give them fresh cows milk too, I'm sorry that was no help!![​IMG]

-Nicole

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Chick starter, clean water is really all they need. We give yogurt and kefir for good probiotics.

They don't need formula. Mixtures of minerals and vitamins can overload them and be too much.

I wouldn't give it to them.

4. Alaskan

I know they don't need baby formula, but it is good food, and expensive, and if I don't feed it to something I will have to just toss it out.

I like the poultry more than I like the dog, which is why I would rather feed it to them. but obviously I don't want to kill them.

If I mixed it up like you would for a human baby...wouldn't that be OK? Kinda like feeding milk?

And the poultry are all about 15 weeks old.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mix it with plenty of water. If they get the runs you'll know why.

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    While there is a bit of debate on the subject, most sources I've read say to avoid dairy products wtih poultry.

In very small amounts it probably wouldn't hurt them, but they are lactose intolerant so more than a small amount may give them some seroius digestive upset. UNLESS the forumla is lactose free/soy.

Just my thoughts...

7. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    Maybe a food bank would be abetter place for it than in the chickens or dog... [​IMG]

8. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I'm with TVTaber - a food bank or local domestic violence shelter will take it if it hasn't expired.

9. Alaskan

nope...it has already been opened, so I can't donate it.

maybe the dog would be safer *ponder*

10. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    If you have cats/kittens or know someone who does, give it to them. A farmer friend of ours feeds his outdoor cats milk replacer all winter and they get nice and fat and healthy on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by