1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Girl prob sick again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladyearth, Feb 19, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Barr rocker will be 1 year next month. She had diaherrea last summer took her to vet. vet not specializing and rarely treated chickens.. local ones would not see her... Had to drive 49 miles.... He gave her an injection of Baytrin. and an extra syringe full to take home. she slowly got better. But I think so MORE after I wormed them all with Safeguard and later Valzaban..
    Got it out,(syringe) still in a plastic bag hanging on a nail...
    well anyway brought her in... Hubby after reading how to and where to give an injection.on this FORUM...
    well the syringe broke when he attempted to hold it up and squirt out a bit. I guess the tip must have been dried up with the solution...
    well I have some powdered ... "Oxytetracycline" and can buy som" Corrid" if needed....
    I believe she eating and drinking. some. she shakes her head quite a lot......half dozen of Practice eggs. Now occa a squeezed soft shell tiny egg...Of course she does not lay any eggs since she was sick last summer,, before that just P ractice eggs...
    so does Roo and the other two..shake their head and scratch their ears...
    the other two out out more.and lay an egg almost everyday...
    they are in their big dog kennel shelter even though there coop is open.. we have 15 inches or snow or so.
    Hubby shoveled paths fpr them from coop to shelters et... and to their other big shelter topper. It is sunny outside but only 10 DEGREES..
    i asked before and was told to do the math. I dont want to mix up a whole gallon. SOLUTION Of ........ Maybe a quart.... PLease someome
    help....
    THANK YALL

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oxytetracycline dosage is 2 1/2 tablespoonsful per gallon of water, or about 1.8 teaspoonsful per quart if you are using this brand below. Other brands may be mixed differently. I would check their ears for mites, and their skin for signs of lice and mites. Head shaking can be a sign of infection, ear mites, or respiratory disease. I would make sure they are on layer feed, and put out some crushed oyster shell or crushed egg shells for extra calcium as they need it, which may help the soft eggs.

[​IMG]

3. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    how do you check chickens ears for mites? what kind of infection or how to tell about respiratory problem?
    already got calcium etc out since day 1
    thanks

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by