Baby Girl still no real eggs.. she almost a year Barr Rock, whines in nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladyearth, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Raised from chick my Baby Girl. she did lay like over 1/2 dozen practice eggs... then none.....
    then months later started laying timy no shell eggs occasionally on poop board..
    Have asked about this many times...on this forum....
    every other day or so she hurries to nest box.... whines and cries.... comes out no egg...
    then last week I checked in on her in next box... she stood up and an egg tiny tiny hard shell "a fart egg" droppedf from her
    .... she seem surprised. and she left the nest box.. she is heavier than the two other females... I got months ago who are younger than Baby Girl supposedly..
    they lay an egg ever day or so each.... same feed etc..
    I only hsve the 3 female and one Roo Barrr Rock right now....
    they roam 100 by 100 feet extra run,
    free range 2 hr before bed rest of most property with some supervision...Have countless places to shelter etc..... really 2 coops ,plus topper shelter , freestanding winowed in shelters, etc....
    they eat Manna pro pellets, corn, Boss, other grains, etc.... They have acess to Oyster shell, grit plenty of fresh water, area under new toolshed to feather dust.. wormed months ago with Valzaban.....
    I give some peanut eah dy, some dried meal worms .. spolt really.. but the 2 other females do fine
    OPINIONS please......[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I believe she may be egg binding. That's when they can't expel an egg and are trying. Often that's with a too soft egg.

Start by cutting out everything but layer feed, oyster shell in a separate container and grit in a separate container or sprinkled on the ground.

3. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    already have grit and calcium out in containers and some on ground...
    the other two females have no problems....
    course I did not get lucky enought in a straight run to get more than one girl The other two ladies I acquired when they were getting close to start laying...
    so maybe Baby Girl is lacking something when she was young.....
    if she is egg binding then she has been doing so for like 5 months or so........

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    that would be unusual.

It's just that if they have soft shells, they can't push them out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by