Baby goat attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pianahannah, Sep 14, 2011.

1. pianahannah

pianahannah New Egg

Nov 7, 2010
    OK.
    This morning my mom saw two kids attacking our rooster. I went a looked at him and he has a hole (about the size of my little finger and no telling how deep) by the joint of his wing. I was wondering if there is any chance there is something we can do to make him better? And why would our goats attack him like that?

Thank you!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I have NO goat experience whatsoever, but it sounds like you need to cage one or the other. Meantime, you can pour some Blue Kote or Red Kote into the wound...you'll need to keep him clean & dry - I use a dog kennel for this purpose when I have an injured one. BEST of luck to you!

3. Nanook

Nanook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2010
    Rincon Ga
    Don't know anything about goats but when mine got attacked the vet gave me some pain meds and she also got an antibiotic shot

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:x2
    I do have some goat experience...the most I've seen a goat do is head-butt another animal--correction, I have had a horned billy inflict an injury on one of my other animals. Do your kids have horns that would injure the roo? If so, it may be too late to disbud by burning, but you may want to check out either banding the horns or making sure the tips are blunt, not sharp. Good luck!

5. pianahannah

pianahannah New Egg

Nov 7, 2010
    OK.
    Thanks a lot! We got some of that Blue Kote for him, and doctored him up. He seems to be doing better already. Again, thanks a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by