baby goat help legs curled up....updated with pictures 2nd page***

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Mrs. Turbo, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    My last goat had twins a couple nights ago. The smallest baby must have been in utero at an odd angle because his head wants to go to one side and it's front legs are curled under. His neck is looking better and getting straight and so is one leg, but the other is still curled under. He is starting to stand but only standing on 3 legs and one knee. I have to hold him up to nurse 4 times a day. Has anyone else had this happen.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I would get him a Bo-se shot from either the vet or if you have some give him 1...its a selinium defficency and this will help him alot.

3. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:calling the vet to see what they have.....thanks
    Sure hope he comes out of it, he is also a lot smaller than his sister, like a runt I guess.

4. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Quote:Yes we had one die from those symptoms, we got her a shot but it was too late, get the shot!!!

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
  6. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    that is what this little guys leg looks like...... The goats get goat feed, hay, mineral block, and free range grass. What else do I need to give the mom?

7. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    First off they need loose minerals as a goats tongue isnt good for the mineral block, its just too hard for them to get what they need from it. Also they need Bo-se shots at least 2x a year. I worm mine with cattle pour on wormer. Hopefully you wormed the momma the day she kidded? A good cattle loose mineral is good. Also a loose salt is good fir them also.

8. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Along with all of the other excellent ideas I would do a little "physical theropy" on the legs several times a day. Just do some gentle stretching and work the legs in the direction that they should be. I have had kids that looked like they would never walk normal but with some work you can do it. I have even had one that I had to make a sling and would put her in it and let the feet just touch the ground. She would paddle like swimming and soon was strong enough to stand on her own and before long was following me all over the barn while we did chores.

9. Mrs. Turbo

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:Ok, thanks I will get some loose minerals for them instead. We worm them about 2 times a year and the vet gave me some extra shots of the Bo-se for the other goats. I will worm the mom tonight when I help the baby eat. I really did read up on goat care before I got them but I guess you learn more as you go???? Farmers out here in KY have a different way of doing things, that is for sure....lol I always get better advice from BYC than listening to the neighbors. Thank you everyone.....[​IMG]

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, you guys have some experience don't you! I'm so impressed.
    (not that I count) But like with any animal, we think we are knowledgeable, but instead we find out how "dumb" we can be!
    (I do not mean the dumb as anyone of you, but in general)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by