Baby goat sick?

PinupMomma

Hatching
Apr 26, 2015
Hi folks. We got baby goats Saturday. They were bottle babies, still getting goat milk. I asked about goat milk replacer and was advised to use whole milk. They took to the milk great! Poops cleared up and now one of my kids has awful diarrhea and is a sneezing fool. He is still playing, eating and stuff. He is the one that is the nibbler on grass, plants and mouthing the feed. He does have a clear runny nose. He is going to vet tomorrow. Am I overreacting? He does NOT act sick but I don't want to chance it. Would it better to give him a day on just electrolytes?

You aren't overreacting. Goats can go down fast and often don't behave as if they're sick which is a coping mechanism to avoid being preyed upon in the wild. They act fine then just end up dead all of a sudden. Does he have any rattling in his chest? It could just be the change in milk... you could give some pepto to control the runs. It could also be coccidia. You could use corid or the new off label treatment Toltrazuril. if his lungs are raspy or rattling it could be pneumonia... good luck at the vet! Good call!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom