baby goat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Sillystunt, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Ok, i got a baby nigerian male today. he was born 7/14
    My other nigerians hate him. I just introduced him and they tried to ram him. Of course i was right there and stopped it! Actually my wether kinda didn't care but Mamma threw a fit!

I am not keeping him on the pen but how do i intergrate him into the herd? What age is best to do so? and will he be OK, being by himself until i do so?

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] I want to get some nigerians..... Have any pics??? Maybe you could walk him around the perimeter of the pen. I guess it would similar to integrating a new dog to the household dog. You have a barrier between them until they get used to each other and the new scent. I haven't raised goats but I am sure in time they will get used to each other. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Goats can be really nasty to newcomers. You may need to keep a fence between them for a while until things settle down and they get used to the new one. This way they can see and smell each other but thats it. When you integrate they'll still do the butting etc. but not as bad as if you just stick him in there right off. I have a really bossy doe that just really goes to town on newcomers and this works best for me. I kept the fence up 3 or 4 weeks then let the new one in with the others and kept an eye on them for a while. They still go at it some but by then the baby is older and learns to stay away from the boss. They'll all work it out eventually but this way the little one doesn't get hurt in the process.

4. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG]

5. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    [​IMG] I AM GOING TO FIND OUT WHERE YOU LIVE!....and steal him in the night. *insert devious laugh here*

6. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    Quote:you a bad girl Emzyyy.............LOL

7. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    We named him Cinco for he has 5 black dots on his legs~

8. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    He's precious....where did you get him from?

9. Goldlaced_Girl

Goldlaced_Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    New Hampshire
    he's adorable!!! We just got two new alpines and wethered our La Mancha [​IMG] he will be a draft animal now!

10. Sillystunt

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I got them at the Newberry BYC swap. Another member(Annika) had some~ i couldn't resist! he is a intact boy and i have a weather and doe.....the pot has been stirred~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by