Baby goat

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Shoal Creek, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Shoal Creek

Shoal Creek New Egg

Jun 3, 2013
    We get a baby goat (her mom was sold). She is 3 months old and SHE IS VERY VERY skinny (I can see her bones). We let her free in the yard with my supervision (she eats the grass and bushes, flowers), but she is not eating that much. We bought goat food but she still not eating much (she did not like the food). She loves to eat the chicken food... She is very quiet but she is health. I don't have any experience with goats...Some suggestion?? I would love to see her fat ... hahahah

2. Welcome to BYC.

Happy that you have a goat. They are great aren't they.

Goats should not be eat the chicken feed. They can get really bad bloat. They need a flake or two of hay each day and browse on leaves and such.

Wish ya the best.

3. Maybe some calf mana would help her to ween if she wasn't already.

4. chickncrazylady

chickncrazylady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    Definitely dont let her eat chicken food. I had a very sick 3 months old buckling . He got into it and we didnt see him right away. We almost lost him and it was a 150.00 vet bill. I am just happy he was ok.
    It took about 2 weeks for him to really get better. He was only allowed to have hay ,grass,and browse until the diarrhea stopped. I would make sure she has some hay to munch on as well as browse and some grain or feed in the morning and night. The vet told us he coud have 1/2 cup of feed twice a day once he got better. If she didn't like the feed you can try somethinh different. I would also check to see if she needs worming if she is very skinny and quiet.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    She could be skinny because she is a lanky, growing teenager, or because she isn't getting enough nutrition. Even though she is picking at the grain, make sure she has fresh hay and clean water at all times. The hay really helps keep her rumen healthy, they should always have some to nibble on.

One thing I'd worry about is whether she has a load of worms and/or coccidia. They are two different problems treated with different medications.

Coccidia is a killer of kids especially, and causes failure to thrive by destroying their intestional lining. That means they cannot absorb nutrients, they become underweight, unthrifty, and anemic. Adult goats can usually handle a small load of coccidia but kids cannot.

To figure out if she has a high coccidia load or a worm load (and what types), bring a fresh fecal sample to a livestock vet. Though when I get a new goat (kid or adult), I hit them with a wormer and a coccidiastat while they are still in quarantine. The wormer I give three separate treatments, each ten days apart, then a final one thirty days after the last. The coccidiastat they get for five strait days, then 21 days thereafter until they are over six months old. An adult goat only gets one treatment. Then they only get it if they need it (a fecal test).

FYI, if she is being kept alone, you should really consider getting a second as soon as you can feasibly do so. Goats are herd animals, and humans are not a replacement for the 'herd'. Keeping a goat alone leads to a very stressed out goat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by