Baby goats

kstaven

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
BC, Washington Border
Five hours old in this shot. Two Toggenburg girls.

goat%20babies

Awww! How sweet!

I am looking for a bucking to raise to service 2 of my girls. Why are you goat people that I like and know your goats are clean and not mistreated always living so far away that you couldn't help me if you tried?

Quote:
MissPrissy,

You have probably considered this, but if not, why not just use a local buck to service your girls. The fee is usually pretty low and is much cheaper than buying, feeding, housing and fencing a stinky buck! The bucks are so nasty, peeing on themselves and stinking to high heaven, then if you touch them the smell sticks to you.

If you had a whole herd of girls, it would be more practical, but if you just want one, well, that is fine too. I was just curious. Also, if you keep him seperate from the girls, except for breeding, you might have to get him a friend, like a wether, to keep him company. Most breeders I know, don't let their bucks run with the does, but then, they have large herds and multiple bucks, so maybe that is why.

Vicki, I have been traveling down that road.

I have a lot invested in my goats and know that all 6 does are in the top health. They have a clean place to live and clean pastures where no other animals forage except the guineas that follow them around.

Of the 14 people I have contacted with a male the goats look shabby. They are in small fenced in areas mostly tred bare and no real 'pasture' for them. The males are left to only forage and since it is just now becoming spring there hasn't been much in the wild to really give a goat a full nutrional diet. I don't want a scrubby goat mating my does. Not one person with a few goats has had a vet at any time look at their goats. They have not been wormed. They have not been vaccinated. There was also a herd with scowers in several goats and even some with conjunctivitis - neither had been treated and the owner didn't seem to think it was a big problem. To me this is not acceptable. The three herds I find that would be acceptable one owner has completely closed her herd and will not allow for outside breeding and the other isn't real social nor approachable, the third had all the males wethered last year and only kidded females this time.

I checked out a local sale and those poor goats look aweful.

I am not willing to risk the health of my does for just any buck to service them.

My goats traveled from the Pa mountains to get to me. If that tells you anything about the quality of goats I have seen here.

Are my goats pure bred? No. Are they super special? No. Are they deserving of being bred by a male that has been taken care of as well as they are themselves? Yes. am I overly picky? Yes! LOL

I hope to find me a young buckling to raise and after all is said and done I'll have him wethered or send him to another pasture.

So cute! I want to get a goat to "mow" around my chicken coops. I have to fence the coops off so the cattle don't rub on them, but a goat or two wouldn't hurt the coops.

Goats don't graze, sara. Maybe you need a lamb? LOL

s6bee, the 4-H here raises lamancha and boer. They also turn their noses up at anything mixed breed.

I prefer the saanan/nubian cross or a togg/saanan cross myself. I like BIG goats. Both of my older does are over 150lbs. Lilah's back is at my waist. I am 5'11".

Back
Top Bottom