Baby goats!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MetalFarm, Nov 19, 2014.

1. MetalFarm

MetalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    We had no idea the girls were even pregnant they must have gotten pregnant before we got them. This morning I had two baby goats nursing on the same mom but I had another "mom" with a bloody discharge hanging out of her not paying attention to the babies. Is it possible she hasn't had hers yet? Or did the other mom adopt her baby??
    [​IMG]

2. H Diamond

H Diamond Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2014
    Has the other doe done anything else since you posted? It could go either way really. If she hasn't done anything by now, I would guess one of those kids are hers. Did she clean, or does she still have stuff hanging?

3. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    She has not giving birth since I left the house (unless one of them was hers) about 6 hours ago and at that time it was still hanging.....

4. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Has not given birth as of now I meant

5. H Diamond

Jan 26, 2014
    I would guess that one of the babies is hers. What color is she? If she were mine, I would have gone in and checked when you found them to see if she had any babies in there or not. You could try bouncing her belly and see if you feel anything in there. Is she uddered up? Is she trying to push or appear to be in labor?

6. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Both her and the nursing mother have HUGE utters and blood dripping. The one that is nursing both kids seems to have cleaned the blood up and the other hasn't. She's still very fat but I noticed the blood this morning and no babies yet. Unless one of those is hers. She's gray in color and the smallest we have. Very short.

7. MetalFarm

Dec 1, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If I would have had any idea they were pregnant I would have been more prepared!

My main questions are.... Is it common for a mom to nurse another moms kid, is it common for two moms to have only one baby each at the same time in the same day.... And most importantly is it ok to let the other mom nurse both babies.
    Thanks!

8. H Diamond

Jan 26, 2014
    Try this: the video, and here is written instruction: http://fiascofarm.com/goats/bouncing.html

If black mom adopted both babies, at this point, unless grey mom is really trying to take a baby also, you're just going to have to milk the grey doe.
    What she has right now is colostrum, milk is out, and freeze it. Make sure to label it as to date what it is and which doe it came from. Milk her twice a day, 12 hours apart.
    Save the next milk and freeze it also. Label it as 2nd colostrum. That way if you need some next time around you have it already. It takes my does about 2 weeks before the milk is really great for drinking. Your's might be different. If you don't want goat milk, it will take a bit, but you can dry her off.

As for the black doe, if her udder it still full and tight, you need to milk her part way out also. Your babies at this point may not be able to take all she has (this will change before too long), and you need to keep her milked some so she doesn't get mastitis and it doesn't get too tight for them to nurse from.

I'm going to assume you know how to care for a just freshened doe (feeding, worming, etc). If you don't, let me know. I'll be happy to answer any questions. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by