baby goose biting off feathers/down on other baby goose, HELP!

Dukess.com

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Montana
we have two great little geese, but one is ripping out the down (not quite feathers yet) of the other one to the point where there is a significant bald spot right next to the oil gland. any ideas or thoughts? every time i separate them, they scream bloody murder and try to jump out of their pens to get back to each other. help!

Do they have lots of fresh green grass to munch on? You can also put in some plastic containers (like little empty yogurt containers) for them to play with. Maybe a stuffed animal friend too.
If the daytime temperature allows, getting them out on grass in a small pen a couple times a day will help.
Make sure they have plenty of room in the brooder and that the brooder isn't too warm.

How old are they?

no they don't have much green grass, we are in montana, and there isn't much yet! in fact it has just snowed quite a bit, and i don't know if they can handle the cold. they are about 2-3 weeks old....we still have a heat lamp in their pen, it is warm, but i don't think it is too hot. how much room should the two of them have? they are in a pretty small space, maybe that is the problem...let me know what you think!

the bald goose

I was just about to post a similar question because I have the same problem. I have 2, 2 week old toulouse goslings. One of them now has a bald wing. They have plenty of room and no heat lamp, but here in northern Michigan, we don't really have any grass yet either. I was going to ask if anyone had suggestions on what would be the best 'treats' that I could suppliment them with until our grass actually starts to grow. Good luck with yours, and thanks in advance to anyone with a response.
cool.png

geese do that sometimes and no matter what you do they won't stop. Like the others mentioned make sure they have plenty of room and the brooder is not too hot, but once they get that spot irritated you really can't get them to stop. I sometimes keep mine in the big wooden rabbit hutches from TSC. I currently have 3 sections in one of them to seperate the 3 goslings in there. They just won't leave each other alone. I hang toys on the side and put grass in there 2 times a day. Good luck

is there anything you could spray on the goose's back (like vinegar) that would taste bad to the aggressive goose, yet not kill him? that punishment wouldn't fit the crime
smile.png

also, will they stop this madness once they start to feather?

thanks again!

you can buy some purple spray at TSC and try that or maybe a red light. If you can keep them seperated long enough for the spot to heal they might not bite each other anymore. Once they get outside to a larger run they should leave each other alone. Geese and ducks don't need as much heat as chickens. We lost power for 8 days in a ice storm and all of our heat lamps went out...the only ones we lost were some of the chicks. I dont know where you live but if it is warm enough for them to be in a run during the day they would probably do better. You could even put a shelter with a light in it for the to go into if they want. I would do this at about 2-3 weeks old if it is above 60*. I am sure everyone has opinions on this.

I had the same problem with my goslings this year. I was told to start feeding them fresh greens a couple times a day and that solved the problem. I just buy whatever is cheap at the store.Turnip greens, mustard greens, Romain lettuce any thing that is cheap. They just love it. They do need room too so if your brooder is small try a larger box or rubber maid container.

I'm having the same problem!!! I was told about the green grass as well--I pick grass and clover for them @ least 3-4 times a day--they have toys hanging in their cage which is large--the picking has continued! Tried the separation--they went crazy!!! I will try the stuffed animal! And the purple spray you are speaking of--is that Blue Coat?? I will try that! Out temps are in the 60-70 right now--so I turn off the heat lamp during the day and only keep it on at night. Plus they have a little box cave to get under to sleep in @ night--they love it. I can't let them out until I get a covered run for them--the hawks are bad here!! I also have started putting grass seed, wheat seed, and sunflower seeds in a tray with holes so some of the water drains out and growing them under a light to feed them. They love it! So might be an option for areas where you still have snow! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm having the same problem!!! I was told about the green grass as well--I pick grass and clover for them @ least 3-4 times a day--they have toys hanging in their cage which is large--the picking has continued! Tried the separation--they went crazy!!! I will try the stuffed animal! And the purple spray you are speaking of--is that Blue Coat?? I will try that! Out temps are in the 60-70 right now--so I turn off the heat lamp during the day and only keep it on at night. Plus they have a little box cave to get under to sleep in @ night--they love it. I can't let them out until I get a covered run for them--the hawks are bad here!! I also have started putting grass seed, wheat seed, and sunflower seeds in a tray with holes so some of the water drains out and growing them under a light to feed them. They love it! So might be an option for areas where you still have snow! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
What color light are you using in your heat lamp? Red is the best . white is the worst especially when keeping it on over night.

Back
Top Bottom