Baby Goose Web foot won't open

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ldfarmhand, Jan 28, 2015.

1. ldfarmhand

ldfarmhand New Egg

Jan 28, 2015
    I have a baby goose born 3 days ago, and his one web foot won't open so he can walk on it. I massage it and try and open it but it seems to hurt him. Any suggestions? I don't want to see him suffer as he is so darn cute. Let me know if you can think of anything I can do for him.
    Thank you

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Has the gosling ever been able to stand up? How does he or she get to water? and food? Does the leg look different between the two legs like a possible slipped tendon. What is the surface of the brooder? Is it slippery anywhere that could hae cause a bird to fall and slip? What are the diet of the gosling? thanks...

3. ldfarmhand

ldfarmhand New Egg

Jan 28, 2015
    The baby goose is only5 days old. We have shredded chips for them to lay and walk on. He can get his water and food. His foot just won't open up. He is doing great except for the foot.

4. ldfarmhand

ldfarmhand New Egg

Jan 28, 2015
    He was born that way if that helps any.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Probably a situation of difficulty getting out of the shell - maybe not humid enough during incubation. Be sure that the temperatures in the brooder are not too hot for the gosling. quoting from a waterfowl resource I have "Ducklings and Goslings do not take heat well, so be sure not to overheat them. They like a temperature of 90-92 degrees for the first 3 days, then 85-90 degrees for days 4 to 7. Thereafter, drop the temperature by approximately 5 degrees per week until they are fully feathered. They must always be able to get away from the heat." Is the gosling alone or does he have company? If no company, you can try a baby mirror(non breakable) or a parrot mirror for him. If there are baby chicks with the goose, you will have to find a way that the goose can get to a cooler part of the brooder.

Also be sure to feed non medicated starter. You may want to try to a liquid vitamin without any iron to see if this helps with the foot. He is still young and if a tendon is slipped, it may go back into place if he just rests. If you have the ability to see an avian vet or there is a teaching school near you, you might see if there is any advice for you there as well. Praying for his health.

6. ldfarmhand

ldfarmhand New Egg

Jan 28, 2015
    Appreciate your advise. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by