Baby gosling going to die help....DOING FINE NOW!! PICS ON PG 2

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carinlynchin, Apr 19, 2009.

1. carinlynchin

carinlynchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    symptoms. he is only 17 days old

earlier today:
    drunk / couldn't stand
    clicking beak

what I did:
    let him swim in tub and gave sugar water
    no longer interested in eating grass/dandelions but drinking heavily
    finally stood up but head still trembled a bit

tonight:
    wings out
    drunken look again
    can't walk

waht I did:
    filled bathtub while I went to get more sugar water
    came back and he was flipped over
    Forced sugar water by opening hismouth and letting my finger drip little drops in...
    he swam a bit, no longer looked like in seizure position but still coudln't walk

today I bought new TSC starter/grower...i was using the southern states version "crumbles" but wanted to try something else...I gave a bit of grit just in case it was compaction....he hasn't had anything since the first episode except a few greens, a pinch of oatmeal and a pinch of grit and sugar water.

now he keeps shaking his head from side to side (makes me think its impaction from what I've read, but the crop is pretty much empty)

plus after drinking all that water earlier his poo was pretty much only water and just before this episode tonight he pooed a watery/slimy/clear poo with bits of it seems grass or such..but not whole...you could just tell it was.

if its his gizzard...what can I do...should i do Extra virgin olive oil thing or vegetable oil??? help. I lost one a few weeks ago to the same symptoms.....turns out it might be my fault. I would rip long pieces of grass and throw it in the brooder for them...I didn't know I was supposed to chop it up in small pieces...I read that could cause the impaction....could it be that or something else....??

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I'm so sorry about your little guy!! I wish I knew what to tell you but I'm just posting to bump this up. You didn't mention the age of your gosling. How old is he? Do you have others with him?

You aren't giving him medicated starter, are you? See if he'll eat scrambled egg or hard boiled egg yolk. Also try mixing the egg yolk in plain yogurt. That is what I would recommend for chicks. Not sure about goslings.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    It is a gosling, you do the same as chicks
    if the matter was hard in the crop it might be impactation
    then you would make a flush
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 cup of water
    I used a childs ear syringe clear to the back of the throat

But you can use a eye dropper fill with soda water
    then PUT it clear back in the throat as this will put it down in the crop
    it is perfectly safe if done as I tell you
    then when crop has soda water in it

bring your hands up from under the chicks crop area in front and bring up the sour food
    flush three times to be sure
    it will not choke him as when you get it up in the beak come on out with it your fingers do the work

I used to do pigeons all ages and chicken all ages. by not hesitating to bring it on out of the beak it will not choke him

give the chick the
    probiotic wet mash
    1/4 cup dry crumbles
    1/2 cup milk all kinds
    1/8 cup of yoguart
    mix and put in feed dish and make ssure he sees it
    also put in 1 pint of water 1 tsp of appe cider vineager
    do this till he is better

do not feed any grass
    PM me and I will send you the instructions to do away with the impacted grass filled crop

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  4. carinlynchin

Feb 18, 2009
    actually his crop was never full...i was thinking i had impacted his gizzard because he would eat the long strands of grass and dandelions that i'd pick for him...I guess I was supposed to break them up in little pieces....I actually don't think its that anymore because he is pooing but its still runny and light green (like the grass wasn't fully digested) and somewhat see through. Today I started him on teh new Dumor stuff that actually says geese on it. I was told by a few people that it is most likely a vitamin deficiency or something. The vet I called thinks its coccidiosis so I went ahead and bought some stuff from the vet that i have to give him for 5 days....called Corid....I think. Hopefully just in case it is the coccidiosis it will take care of it...today since the new food, he's been acting better...I am more in teh line of the deficiency, but you never know what is going on inside so just in case the corid is administered too.

thanks to all who have helped me. I'll keep updating until his poo is normal again.

5. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    It could very well be the feed wasn't right for him
    and Corid is the BEST for coccidiosis
    hopefully he will get better

6. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Carine!!! Oh no!!! Just saw your post!!! [​IMG] How is he??? Mine are all doing well and seem to be growing so fast. I have one little girl who seems to be a runt or just smaller than the others. Please keep me posted! I wish I could help, but not sure what to do. I'm praying for the little man!!! [​IMG] ~T

7. carinlynchin

Feb 18, 2009
    thanks you guys..

Hi tracy...yea he had the same things that happened to Wapi...except I was ina situation where I could get sugar water which seemed to snap him out of the thing he was in.. What food are you using? What bedding (mine is newspapers).

Carine

8. threehorses

threehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Also keep in mind that sometimes Salmonella manifests in these symptoms. I had a duckling that did this. Just something to consider. I think i missed the description of the droppings. Were they mucousy? Were they at all non-green? Or "too" green?

Is the gosling eating now? Will your vet actually see him?

I hope the little guy will do ok. Be sure to keep him lifted out of all of his droppings, especially til this clears. Other than his water, his environment should be very dry and clean.

Crossing fingers/sending well wishes and prayers for you.

Nathalie (new to the board)

9. carinlynchin

Feb 18, 2009
    see thats the thing, i wish he pooed in only one spot..but he ends up walking all over it...plus from what I've seen the shavings tends to absorb and hide more of the droppings than the newspaper I use. I think I'll get some shavings...anyone know what is safe for sebbies?

He is sooo much more active today. Possibly the food, but I did give him one dose of the corid yesterday. He was already getting better but his head was still trembling on and off...like chills for a few seconds.

So far so good...I hope its not salmo....i am so afraid of that because I had it when I was a child and i am so paranoid when I cook chicken, meat and eggs...but especially chicken. I wash my hands like 50 million times, to the point I hate cooking chicken, its so annoying. I am mostly paranoid because i am afraid to give it to my kids..so i end up over cookign the chicken and we eat dried up chicken [​IMG]

The poo is very green,....

10. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:Do you have an area for heat? I know my three still have a heat lamp on one side and they snuggle up under it for naps and night time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by