Baby got her toe bitten/torn off!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimntep, Apr 7, 2011.

1. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    Something got into the baby yard last night. We think it was a darn fox and it got off with three of my babies and the toe of a fourth. I don't think her leg is hurt, but her foot sure is sore. She is limping a bit when she walks, but she'll put it all the way down to stand. She has about half of her outside toe left and it's a very clean break. It's not bleeding, but I wonder if I should do anything?? The babies are about 6 weeks or so and I just took them out of their trough and placed them in their own yard until they are used to the big girls. Otherwise, the rest seem fine and we had no issues with intruders last night after some reinforcing of the fence bottom.

2. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    I would give her the old scrambled eggs and yogurt treatment and probably keep her in a clean area for a few days so her wound stays as clean as possible until it closes up, which should be pretty quick. Poor thing. Will you call her stumpy? Sorry you lost some babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by