1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby guineas and established pullet flock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vblanken, Sep 13, 2010.

1. vblanken

vblanken New Egg

Jul 4, 2010
    My father in law decided my flock (13 pullets, 2 bantam roos) needed 5 baby guineas (maybe 6-8 wks old) so he brings them yesterday (caged) and leaves them in the coop. Poor things probably had never been free (bought at the local sale barn) so we let them out and they dusted vigorously, enjoying the day. We monitored all afternooon...the hens and roos were free ranging in the woods. Last night as everyone is settling onto their assigned perches the guineas claimed the "top shelf" and held on for dear life while everyone else wrestled for position. (we have three large roosting limbs.) This morning when I let everyone out for the day, the hens and roos were not real happy with the babies...
    So my question is this...how badly have we damaged our contented flock with the newbies? We are new "farmers" and of course, chickens are easy breezy...but are we all going to need counseling now? My mother tells me that my girls will never start laying as long as those "d!@# guineas" are around. Not to mention the 2 roos (one of which only has one leg) who are extremely protective of their harem.
    Help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by