1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby has arrived and is as small as a cottonball!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by laturcotte1, Oct 3, 2012.

1. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    [​IMG]
    She has arrived!!! I can't tell you how exciting this it!!! We're going to call her (I say her because its wishful thinking) Number One. She was hatched on Friday and this is her first day out on Monday. Here she is with a kernal of canned corn. OMG. Hens are bantam silkies and dad is a bantam something. My husband is so excited i can't tell you. I had two hens laying on this egg but this mom immediately claimed her as her own. They threw out two eggs from the nest but after Number One was born the other mom dragged the two eggs back under her.
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure they are not viable but I'll let her sit for a couple days. Is this the right thing to do? My third hen (none of them have names because you can't tell them apart) is trying to be a good auntie but she is not allowed near the baby. My roo coco is just a nervous wreak! The baby looks like dad.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I don't know who's the cutest... Mom or baby! Congrats!

3. laturcotte1

laturcotte1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    SUMI, thank you. I've been gushing for someone to see. BTY I love your BYC picture.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Thank you [​IMG] I always take loads of pics of my fluffy butts and sometimes they do the cutest things for me, so I get nice pics. Talking of which... any chance of a close-up of your cotton ball? [​IMG]

5. chickenn@@b

chickenn@@b Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I second that. They are SO adorable.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by