Baby hatched in expectantly and feed store closed

cxs918

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 27, 2013
Rehoboth, Ma
I went away at the beginning of February and my chicks became broody however none of eggs hatched. When I came home there were eggs under the hens and my husband was clueless when they were laid. Anyways one hatched this mornjng and the feed store is closed until tomorrow afternoon. What can I feed the chick until it opens tomorrow? I have baby chick feeders and waterers.

You can scramble or hard boil some eggs and mash them up into small pieces and feed the chick that as well. They love it and it's good for them. :)

Since they absorb the yolk just before they hatch, they can go three days or more without any food or water. You don’t have to do anything. Absorbing the yolk like that is why they can be shipped in the mail.

If you have to do something just to be doing something, cornmeal, yogurt, crumbled boiled eggs, scrambled eggs as long as they are not too greasy all work well. If you give them about anything else I’d suggest also giving them a little grit in case they need to grind it up in their gizzard.

Those things are frustrating aren’t they? Hopefully you will get another chick or two before the hen wants to bring that one off the nest.

Chicks can survived for three days or more on the energy stored in their yolks. It may take several days for all of the chick's broodmates to finish hatching, so that yolk reserve is designed to keep them going until mama hen is ready to leave the nest and teach them to forage. Your chick will be perfectly fine until you can get to the feed store :)

Back
Top Bottom