baby hen wanders away from the others and avoids them

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rumer, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Rumer

Rumer New Egg

Apr 24, 2009
    Got 4 baby hens and one seems to wander away from the other three and into my group of older chicks. The older chicks may or may not be all roosters. When I bought the hens, while at the store, one jumped out the tiny box they had them in and dropped on the concrete floor. I have no way of knowing whether my wandering hen is the one that fell. But, she definately acts different than the others. Could it be the fall, or perhaps she's a he and that's why she joined the older chicks (possible roosters) and never sticks with her sisters? I know it's not possible, but she seems upset at night when I take her away from the others and put her inside with her sisters. But, she's too young to be outside at night. She'll even move to another side of the box and sleep away from her sisters? Any ideas?

2. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I think she is just likes to wander! She will be fine as long as the older chickens don't pick on her! I have had some chicks that would wander away from Mama chicken more than the others.[​IMG]

Oh and [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  3. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    As long as she's eating, drinking, pooping, and sleeping, it's all good!

Good luck!

~wings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by