Baby Hens panting even though temp is alright?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Baby_Chick, May 1, 2009.

1. Baby_Chick

Baby_Chick Out Of The Brooder

I'm a new chicken mom, and one of my baby hens died this morning so i'm a bit on edge right now but anyways... A few of my chicks (about 3 days old) are panting even though the temperature of the brooder is at 90 degrees. Should I be concerned about this? Or should I just let them pant? Answers Please!! [​IMG]

2. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Lower the temp immediately!!

Do they have room to get away from the heat? What size brooder and what size light? aRE THEY INSIDE OR OUTSIDE? Sorry bout capss...

3. NotTheMomma

Do they have fresh, clean, COOL water???

Those babes are hot. Chickens pant to lower their temp.

4. Baby_Chick

There is only 5 of them and they are NH Reds and they are in a large box... I thought that the temp should be 90 for the first week of life? I am using a 250 watt heat lamp.

5. Baby_Chick

oh and yes they have fresh clean cool water... I change it numerous times a day...

6. NotTheMomma

Panting they are too hot! Are they all gathered as far away from the light as they can get? Are they drinking and pooping well? No pasty butts?

7. NotTheMomma

Where is the thermometer? Directly under the light or in the center of the box or where?

8. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    Get rid of that thermometer and just watch your chicks. THEY will tell you what temp they need!

9. Baby_Chick

No, they aren't far away from the light, they don't always pant, just off and on.... No pasting up, (I check about twice a day) and the termometer isn't in the middle of thew heat source but not that far away from it, the probe is at the height of the chicks' backs.

10. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    I don't use a thermometer, just judge what the chicks do. If they're panting or trying to get far away from the lamp, they're too hot. If they're cold they will all huddle together under the lamp. If they're just right they should spread out a bit. You will be able to tell whether they're cold, so just see if you can lower the temperature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by