1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby House Sparrows *Update with pictures*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by duckncover, May 14, 2009.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Oh Boy...

My little cousin found 2 baby birds yesterday afternoon. He said they were on the ground so we went to look for a nest...nothing.
    I whipped up some sparrow/starling food from

http://www.starlingtalk.com/babycare.htm

They are looking good. Hoping they live...I could enjoy a few sparrows around here.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I was once given handful of baby sparrows by the little boy down the street. His dad had cleaned the gutters and they fell out. I didn't have to feed them, though. The mother had followed the boy to my house. I strapped a 10 gallon water can with a drain in it to the top of the kids' swing set, added straw and babies. The momma raised them from there. They all made it and then stayed around for months.

3. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I checked out the website you posted and it was very imformative, I wished I had it when I was raising baby starlings! With a little advice from our local nature center and trial and error I managed fairly well. After four years of this I finally got my brother to put a cap on my chimney. It was fun but exhausting. Baby starlings are very good at risiting the weaning process! They hollered and hollered but I wouldn't feed them by eyedropper. They finally gave up and ate on their own. I fed mine kitten chow type of gruel. When they got bigger and could fly I would go to the pet store and get them some crickets which they loved!

4. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    [​IMG]

here they are!

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  6. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    They're STILL ALIVE and growing like weeds!!

Pix soon!

7. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    House Sparrows are a nusiance as they do kill native Bluebirds and destroy their eggs. Therefore they should be killed even as chicks

8. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    well pest or not I'm not releasing these anyways so they are pets.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Are you sure they are sparrows? They look to big for baby sparrows. [​IMG] I try to destroy all sparrow's nest around here. Please don't take this wrong but I have blue bird boxes around my property and I have seen the damaged a house sparrow can do to the skull of a blue bird and it's not pretty. Believe it or not, but the Blue Bird Society even recomends getting rid of house sparrows. But, I want to say good luck with helping your baby birds!

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Those look like sparrows to me.

I had one I raised from a little pink baby. He was a great little pet and I really miss him. He lived about three years. Their adult care is similar to that of a finch or canary. I fed mine finch seed/feed and he got little treats too. He was friendly for awhile until the last few months. He used to fly out to me and sit on my finger, but must have gone a bit senile in his old age. I've read that three is a decent age for a sparrow!

Good luck with yours. I love raising baby birds. I've had all sorts of things over the years!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by