Baby is Belly Up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jimnjay, May 10, 2007.

1. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    You can imagine my concern when I walked in and saw this. I watched closely and noticed the little one breathing. I shot the photo and then they woke up. I have never seen one sleep on its back before. Is that cute or what?
    [​IMG]

I ended up with 6 Speckled Sussex and the Cuckoo Silkies are hatching today. I have these four out and drying in the hatcher while the other 4 pips attend to their business in the incubator.
    [​IMG]

2. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    ooh so cute! I love it when they do that, kinda freaks you out the first time you see it! My DH swore they were dying! Thanks for sharing the pics!

3. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    That is too cute Jaynie. I had one silkie that slept in odd positions. They all did at first. But the one with the culy feathers, well it slept in some really strange ones. Including standing up. I watched them all the time and I would see him standing there nodding back and forth sort of rocking, and wondered what was going on, then I realized it was asleep. I told DH that if I was not hoping for it to be a girl, I would name it after him. I always tell him he could probably sleep standing up. He is out before his head hits the pillow. Too cute. Glad they are doig well.

Marie

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Awwww...how cute is that!!![​IMG]

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Aww, what a cutie!! [​IMG]

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] That is so cute.

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Way too cute!!! It's amazing the positions they sleep in.

Lori

8. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    They are really cute!

I have a little one that is always asleep standing up, doing the rocking thing. I was paranoid for a day or two that something was wrong with it. I kept thinking it was weak, until I figured out it was sleeping.

9. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Aw how cute!

10. akyramoto

akyramoto Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Northern CA
    same thing happened to me, while my friend was there - she gave me the chicks. she turned around & started screaming!! scared the crap outta me! 'oh my god whats wrong with it!!!!' she screamed. right after that the chick popped right up & was fine.

it was funny now that i look back at it, but man I'm not used to being around people that do that!! lol. ( she's not used to chickens either so she has no idea what their behaviors are)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by