Baby its cold out side!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fratmor, Jan 22, 2011.

1. fratmor

fratmor Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    ny,ny
    Its going to be 0 tomorrow night my hubby who claims he doesn't[​IMG]: care about my chicks is worried about them freezing. should i turn a heating lamp on tomorrow night. They seem to not settle when the light is on. how can i keep them warm?

2. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    Chicks or chickens? As long as they are adults and protected from any wind and dampness, they should be fine. If you have chicks, bring them in. We are at 16 and expected to go lower. The girls are all huddled together and annoyed that I even checked on them.

Good to hear your DH is coming on board with the chickens.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If they are under 8 weeks, use a red heat lamp or red light bulb and they will rest better. If they are older than this, they should be ok without heat, if they've been living outside.

4. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    we got to -8 last night I broke down and put a heat lamp in this AM also turned the light on witch is 100 watt so together that is 350w. we have a 8'by 16' coop and I saw signs of frost bight on one of my black Australorps comb, put petroleum jelly on some of the larger combs. they get lots of BOSS and extra goodies but I am thinking of getting some cracked corn to add extra heat to their feed. still waiting for global warming to kick in!!!!!

5. Herself

Herself Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    My Pullets have been outside in their coop with no heating lamp or light, but its suppose to go down to -10 or so with a lot of wind tonight & remain very cold tomorrow so I brought them it & fixed them a spot in the cellar. I have the 4 of them in a large wire dog crate with shavings in the bottom. I also put a blanket over the crate with one end left uncovered. I put the wire dog exercise pen around the crate so that if its still real cold tomorrow they can stay there. The cellar is very cold, but it warmer than their coop. I might have over reacted. I know some people say that they would be ok, but I wasn't sure.

Herself

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:The advantages of having just a small flock! [​IMG]

7. denise70

denise70 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Meaford, ON
    I guess the cold snap is affecting a large area as it is -20c/-4f here right now. My ladies wouldn't come out at all today. We just put their food and some water in their hen house for them - but that meant their water kept freezing as there is no room for the heated waterer in there with them.

We feel pretty bad for them. [​IMG] But it seemed like they were in pretty good spirits. I don't see any sign of frost bite.

Don't know about other places but here it is supposed to warm up a lot tomorrow -9c/15f tomorrow on the forecast.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

We had -27 last night. Yes, it was cold. No heat. With a barn, it wouldn't do much good anyhow. They were fine, but cold hardy breeds tend to do OK. They were bred 100+ years ago specifically for this kind of climate. The originators of these breeds had no electricity.

9. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    We're going to near -40. Heat lamp on!!!!!!!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Okay Fred I took the bait what kind of chickens do you have please?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by