Baby its cold outside.............

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenmadame, Dec 18, 2011.

1. chickenmadame

chickenmadame Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    This time of year what is the best feeding method? Electrolite water? Scratch? I am also dealing with a lot of rain, so their yard is a mud pit. Any ideas for that?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    For the mud, read this.

PatÂ’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

For
    the other, have you seen a problem? If not, what are you trying to fix? Chickens need a balanced diet. If they are laying, they need additional calcium. If they are not laying, they don't. If they are laying, they need nutrients (not just protein) to make eggs. If they are molting and not laying, they use those nutrients to make feathers. But whether they are laying or not, they need a balance of protein, fats, fiber, minerals, vitamins, amino acids, and such. You can get as fancy as you want, can give them supplements and additives, do whatever you want and you won't harm them as long as you don't go overboard. Just see that they get a basic balanced diet, whether that is winter, summer, fall, or spring.

3. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    x2
    Free choice store bought chicken feed. throw a handful of scratch per 2-3 hens in the AM.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:x3....I also throw BOSS down in the dry areas free of snow, or in the hay pile, gives them something to do to keep warm...

I continue with table scraps also...no need to get so fancy just keep doing what they are used to all year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by