Baby just hatched! *Updated with pics!*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i guess i need to write things down. i had collected six eggs from my Showgirl Rooster and his Showgirl girlfriend and gave them to the only broody hen i had at the time, in another pen. i gave them to her sometime in late October - i thought maybe it was the 31st, or maybe the 28th. i was thinking i had another week or so, and have not even candled them yet.

So just now i was out working on my coops, trying to figure out how to incorporate my eldest kid group and mom into an existing pen. Heard a baby chirping, but the sound wasn't coming from my shed (the nursery). Ran into my big silkie pen and into the coop to find a little white showgirl flopping around inside a nest box. The broody was out eating and scratching around.

Grabbed the baby and ran inside and made my husband hold it while i ran back out to see if i could get the broody back on the nest. Well, she was back on already so i retrieved the chick and slid it back under her, while she pecked the beejesus out of my hand.

Got a hutch set up in the shed and put her inside, nest box and all. Hope she's going to be a good mom. This is her first time, and i'm not impressed that she was off the nest while her newborn baby was flopping around in the cold. i guess we will see. i really gotta remember to write things down.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Two words. Pic tures! [​IMG]

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Ah now, i had a feeling someone would mention that. [​IMG]

i will definitely get pics and put them up as soon as everyone finishes hatching.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm so glad the baby is okay. Good luck with the mommy.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    As promised, here are pics. Seems that just two hatched. Three had not developed at all, and one did develop but i have a feeling is dead. Pulled out that egg and put it in an incubator so Carmen can concentrate on her kids. Carmen is not the bio-mom. Parents are a Columbian-colored Showgirl roo and a white bearded Showgirl.

Here is the first baby to emerge, a little white showgirl. Sorry i couldn't move that piece of straw in the way, fear of having my hand pecked off.
    [​IMG]

Then, interestingly enough, a little partridge one.
    [​IMG]

Some sibling shots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i'll try to get better ones once they come out to eat. So, i guess the Columbian color in silkies is created by somehow having partridge in the background somewhere?

6. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Oh MY! They are wonderful! There is nothing more special or cuter than babies under a momma, even if it is an adopted momma
    Congrats!

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    She looks like a dedicated little mother hen.

8. Painted Spirit

Painted Spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    What a great brooder! I got a mama hen and 4 chicks to teach the barn cats DONT MESS WITH THE CHICKENS! I let her free range 24/7 and she guarded the babies from us, the cats, the dogs, the horses, the kids, no one messes with mama! I'm hoping she'll go broody soon so I can put some chicks with her.....

9. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG]

I love a broody and chicks.

[​IMG]

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Colleen,

Get in your car and get over here with that showgirl for me! Now. I'll wait up. Where are you? [​IMG]

Ok, be that way. I'll come by your place in the morning and pick it up. [​IMG]

Mary

p.s. This is really selfish of you considering you live ten minutes from me. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by