1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby keet has prolapse :(

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by crj, Jun 5, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hi,
    I've managed to fix this problem in a new chick once but I'm having trouble fixing this baby. She is an only baby that a friend gave to me to care for and raise. I don't have guineas so this is my first. Is it possible this could fix itself? can they live with the problem? I'm just curious. I will continue to work on this little one. I have no idea if it's male or female and obviously I won't be sexing the poor thing. Can you tell by colors? I have no idea what kind she/he is. It has brownish feathers starting to show. The baby is light brown with dark brown stripes a thick one that runs down from head to butt. Also has a stripe over the eye. Pretty cool looking baby. Eventually I will get a picture but right now I have a broken ankle that I'm dealing with and I managed to sneak to the computer. Thanks.

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Prolapse in a young keet is rare, at least in all my hatching experiences... are you sure it actually is a prolapse and not a hernia type situation?
    I'm sorry I have no advice to offer... other than taking it to an avian vet. Good luck.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Are you sure you are not seeing the umbilical area?

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Yeah, what Taz said... lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by