baby mallard questions.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckman11032, Jul 16, 2009.

1. duckman11032

duckman11032 In the Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    hey guys i have a question I have 5 4 week old mallard ducklings, and I need to know when to clip the one wing? to keep them flightless, all my other ducks don't fly......

i have a book that tells me how to clip, but i need to know usually when those feathers are mature enough to cut.....
    i dont want to go out there one morning and all my mallards have flown off!!!

thanks

guys

michael "the duckman"

2. I clip my mallards when the entire duck is feathered. You really only need to get about the first 5 feathers on the wing and that's enough to keep them off balance. The drake I have had both of his wings clipped and he can still flutter a pretty good ways, so if you're really worried then clipping both wings wouldn't be a problem.

3. xfilesnumber1fan

xfilesnumber1fan Songster

Nov 24, 2008
    Missouri
    I have 7 mallards and have never cut them..But 8 weeks they should be fully feathered..I have cut wings before..I always do only 1 and leave the first 3 the longest so when the wing folds back it looks normal..Then I cut the rest up to the colored ones..

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Songster

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Well, they'll be fully feathered around 8 weeks, but I've never had one fly that young. Somewhere around 12 or 14 weeks is a good time to clip, that's when they start getting some air and flying around a little bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: