Baby Mallards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bockbock2008, May 11, 2009.

1. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Thursday I was at the store and when I was leaving i saw a family of ducks sitting in the middle of the parking lot. I could see they had babies, so i drove up to them as did another woman at the same time. There is acreek that runs through this shopping center and ducks are always around this time of year. Just last week we took an adult female to a vet around here that does duck and goose rehabilitation because she had been hit by a car. Anyway, I thought about just leaving them be and hoping for the best but I thought how I would feel the next day when I came back and they were all just grease spots on the asphalt. So, with the mother duck flogging and biting me I scooped up 6 and ran around with the other lady stoppign traffic, and caught the other 3. I tried to catch mom too but that didn't happen. Now we have 9 little babies under the brooder and all are doing well. They were only 2 or 3 days old when I found them. Iknow, I know, I interfered with nature but they had a very little chance if I had left them. There was also a dead goose about a block away from where I found them last week. Now if the adults can't get out of the way of vehicles, I know the babies were doomed.

2. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Hope the authorities don't find you; I've heard the fines are very steep. Since even owning shed feathers from wild mallards is a crime...

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You should take tem to a rehab center.
    Go to www.duckrescue.org and look for a rehabber in your area.

I know you were trying to help, but mallards are very good mothers. And as said above, taking federally protected migratory fowl from the wild is a federal crime.

4. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Apply for a permit. Don't tell people this story. It is to late to undo what you have done but you need to get a permit to cover yourself.

5. amyrose25

amyrose25 New Egg

May 12, 2009
    GOOD JOB SAVING THE DUCKS! YOU DID WHAT WAS RIGHT TO HELP THEM.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi Amy, welcome to BYC.

I agree that bock's heart was in the right place. Many of us who volunteer countless hours with rescue orgs want to take in every wild duck that appears to need help.

However, there are laws that limit what you can do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by