Baby Milestones

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ady Road Chicks, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Ady Road Chicks

Ady Road Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    I have 11 babies that hatched on July 3. When can they go outside? [​IMG] When do I switch them from Chick Starter to regular chicken food? [​IMG] When can I put them out with the big girls? [​IMG] I feel like there are so many ways to mess them up. [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They can start going outside for supervised playtime whenever you want, assuming it's warm enough where you are. They don't need layer feed until they start to lay, or until they go into the big coop. They won't be able to go with the adults until they're at least half grown (about 3 months) and can stick up for themselves.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Chickens are very resiliant, but yes, we do want to give them the best lives we can provide for them! [​IMG] Good luck!!

4. Ady Road Chicks

Ady Road Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    Ok...now for a new question...when do roos start to crow? I received 2 polish chickens (Phyllis and Diller) and I was told they are both girls. Well....Phyllis started to crow yesterday. [​IMG] I guess she is going to be Phil now. My DH thinks the chicken has a gender identity disorder. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by