Baby Monitor

PTFowl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 16, 2011
WA
I recently saw a post on one of these forums talking about putting a baby monitor in the coop, then I did a search on the topic and read the baby monitor thread from 2009. Now I'm convinced that a baby monitor for the coop would really help keep the girls safe. (The chicks are going to hatch the first week of September). I've never used a baby monitor before and I've never had chickens before. Here's my question: Should I buy the used 2-channel Safety First 475 mhz model that is at my local thrift shop for $5 or, fork over $36.75 for a new Sony 900 mhz 27-channel model that got excellent reviews on Amazon? When I tested the Safety First model at the thrift shop today there was a lot of static but otherwise it had good sound quality and range. I'm thinking that maybe there was extra static in the thrift shop because they had a few tv sets running, i don't know.

Probably the thrift shop was a bad place for testing. At $5 i would pick it up and try it. If later you decide on a different model you aren't out much and can resell it.

Quote:
x2 As a chicken owner (or as a person owned by chickens
tongue.png
), you'll be making changes and improvements every few months...lol. So start off "cheeply."

Okay then it's a consensus. The $5 monitor it is. This list has already saved me 30 bucks and i don't even have the chickens yet.

There are different ranges, so be sure to read the box.
Also if you use alot of electronic devices, go with digital for better reception.
I love the monitor we used for our daughter and then for our baby chicks! It is a great way to repurpose it, some people use them for puppies and the elderly too.
good luck!

This Safety First monitor that i got for a few dollars at the second hand store is working great. Right now i'm using it in the brooder in garage and keep it on through the night and when i'm at my desk working at home. It'll go in the coop when the chickens move out there. I like getting used to hearing the different chirp patterns and activity patterns of the birds. It's supposed to have a range of 650 ft if you believe the description on Amazon.com.

Back
Top Bottom