Baby monitors in the coop. Anyone ever try this?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Carrie Lynn, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I plan to place a baby monitor in my coop so I can hear if there's a predator problem.
    Has anyone tried this? Will they work in winter?

2. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    Yes I have and it works great, I was trying to figure out who was laying which egg. I then got a baby monitor with a camera.

3. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Any problems during your cold Maine winters?

4. Tdub4chiks

Tdub4chiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Constantia, NY
    I have a "Wing Song" bird monitor hanging in my girls pen. This was made for outside and I just love it. It's a little too cold here in NY to have the windows open, so I get to hear the girls all day long, pecking & squacking. Already this morning, I heard people hollering on the monitor. 2 women were stuck in the swamp with their 4-wheeler. I walked back their to see if they needed help. I took my cell phone with me. lol They called for help. I think they've had a few too many toddies.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I don't have my coop wired for electricity (yet...I'm waiting until my husband forgets how much it cost to build the coop in the first place before springing that on him). With a baby monitor, the monitoring unit usually needs to be plugged in, and the receiver uses batteries, which is opposite of what I would need with no outlet in my coop. The wild bird monitor sounds interesting...I'll need to look into that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by