baby monitors

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by poultrygeist, Oct 25, 2009.

1. poultrygeist

poultrygeist Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Hunterdon Cty. NJ
    Has anyone used a baby monitor for there coop?

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    yes, i keep one on all the time, in the day i move it outside the coop , i can hear everything going on for a very, very long ways.

you can get one at walmart for 18.00 , it is a must have in my opion,i can clip the listing device on my belt or whatever(works with 9volt battery) and be anywhere inside and still hear whats going on.

Beware though ,keeping this thing in with guineas at night can keep you awake cause sometimes they get to doing their calling ,even when nothing is wrong.LOL

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have one in the main coop and one in the breeders coops and the receivers are in my bedroom.

4. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Yep, me too. It's old and well used - been spying on my kids with it for the last 12 years (haa haa) and it's doing a great job of peeping in on my chickens now. I leave it on 24/7 in the kitchen. My friends all tease me, but I can hear everything going on out there, even if I can't see it from the house. It's especially helpful in the cold winter... after an egg song I can gather them before they freeze. I've toyed with the idea of a video baby monitor, but am currently unwilling to spend the money.

5. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    I do not have electric outlets in my chicken houses so the baby moniter is on the outside of my kitchen window (on the sill inside of the screen so it doesn't get wet), which is about 15 ft. from my chicken houses and run. Have the other part hanging on the headboard of my bed upstairs and I can hear everything, even the cats walking in the autumn leaves.

Only problem is running down those stairs and outside in my pj's with the shotgun in the middle of the night. Very scarey but I usually get the predator or scare him off. Wouldn't take much to scare anyone in that scenario. [​IMG] Sometimes my cats even take off for the hills!

6. patricium

patricium Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Western New York
    Yes, I have a night-vision baby monitor. Primarily useful at night, since they spend most days when I'm home free-ranging. Definitely puts your mind at ease knowing you'll be able to hear any predator attacks and intervene. We run an outdoor extension cord out to the coop, since we don't have power there.

It's a Summer Infant Day and Night Color Video Monitor, and I think it cost about $150.
    (It's only color in daylight. At night when the IR kicks in, it's black and white.)

7. toetoe

toetoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    Never thought of using it for my chicken coop but it works wonderful for my car at night.
    Last time someone tryed to steal my car I heard them..called the cops and they did not even get the car down the block.

8. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Definately! I don't leave mine on all the time. I only turn it on when we've had a sign of a predator being near. It works like a charm! I'm a light sleeper when it comes to noise coming from a baby monitor, after having two kids, and I wake my husband up and out he goes with the 12 guage to kill what ever is out there. We just killed a skunk that way 2 nights ago. Now I have it out to listen to my doe that will be kidding anytime now. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by